Need visas for other countries? Check out our travel visa guide.
Somewhat surprisingly, our Australia visa application was the simplest by far – here’s how we got our Australian visa.
How to Get an Australian Travel Visa
You can apply for a tourist visa for Australia pretty easily if you’re from the UK or a number of other countries – see the full list on the Australian Immigration website. In fact, all you need to do is fill in an online evisitor application, for which you’ll need a valid passport and email address. You’ll then receive an email to let you know whether or not the visa has been granted – we received our acceptance emails within a couple of hours of applying. An evisitor visa allows you to:
- Visit Australia within 12 months of being granted the visa
- Travel to and from Australia any number of times over those 12 months
- Stay in Australia for up to three months at a time
It really is as easy as that – you don’t even have to print out any forms; your evisitor and passport details are electronically stored so the airline can see them when you check in to fly.
How much is an Australian Tourist Visa?
The Australian evisitor visa is free.
Can I get a Visa to stay longer in Australia?
There are some other types of Australian visas which may allow you to stay in the country longer:
- Australian working holiday visa – available to people aged 18 to 30 from eligible countries including the UK and many other European, as well as Asian, countries. This visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to 12 months and work for two separate employers for up to six months each. This visa costs around $280.
- Second Australian working holiday visa – you can also get a six month extension to your working holiday visa if you plan to continue working with one your previous employers in Australia.
- Australian medical visa – you may be able to get a 12 month visa to visit Australia for medical purposes.
- Working visas – some skilled workers, such as doctors and teachers can apply to get a more permanent visa to work in Australia; you should refer to the Australian visa requirements on the Australian Immigration website for further details on this and the above visas.
Read our Travel Visa Guide for information about visas for other countries.
*Information is accurate as of November 2012